Home » Search All Courses » Online Degrees » Social Sciences (Honours)
In a fast changing world the social sciences seek answers to the big questions we face as a society. Those answers inform the work of anyone needing to base their decisions on the best available evidence – civil servants, policy makers, business executives and many more.
Whatever path you take, you will acquire valuable transferable skills opening up employment opportunities in private, public and voluntary sector organisations.
Key features of the Social Sciences (Honours) course at The Open University
– Provides a thorough introduction to the social sciences and explores a range of topical social, political and economic issues
– Gives you the option to specialise in criminology, economics, geography, politics, psychology, religious studies or sociology
– Applies cutting edge social science theory and knowledge to real world situations
– Enhances your employability, equipping you with valued skills, including the ability to analyse and evaluate evidence, and communicate specialist ideas and information to different audiences.
Skills for career development
Employers value the diverse skills of the social sciences very highly. The ability to work across different academic disciplines will provide you with a broad portfolio of transferable skills including the ability to:
– interpret, analyse, and critically evaluate quantitative and qualitative evidence
– apply learning to real world situations
– communicate effectively to a variety of audiences using different media
– employ a wide range of digital practices to find, use, and create data
– learn autonomously and plan, conduct, and present independent work
– work effectively with others to achieve joint outcomes
A degree in the social sciences can lead to employment across the public, private and voluntary sectors. Businesses, public sector organisations and educational institutions increasingly have to deal with social issues, and value the skills that social science graduates can provide, making this degree relevant to a wide range of professions including local government officer, civil servant, secondary school teacher, social worker, charities, journalism and trade union officials. You can also use your BA (Hons) Social Sciences for further study in the higher education sector.
This course is eligible for the UK Study Online Scholarship draw
Register today for the 2023 ukstudyonline.com scholarship.
One of the only UK scholarships 100% dedicated to online study. £1,000 support for tuition fees for UK & International Students
The UK government has announced the Lifelong Learning (Higher Education Fee Limits) Bill. The Bill will allow the rollout of the Lifelong loan entitlement in
Gain a comprehensive understanding of MBA programs, their structure, benefits, and types. Understand admission requirements and the differences between an MBA and other graduate degrees, helping you decide whether an MBA is worth your investment in terms of career advancement and salary potential.
Learn how to navigate the quirks of university websites effectively. Discover tips and tricks for finding out if they offer online courses!
Explore the possibilities of funding your online degree with student finance. Get the latest information and find out if you’re eligible.
Understand the options for using student finance to pay for your online Master’s degree. Get the latest information and make an informed decision.
Find out if it’s possible to secure a bank loan for an online Master’s degree and what options are available. Learn about the requirements, repayments, and other important factors to consider when financing your online Master’s education.
Use these links to view the full rankings (Opens in a new window)
ARTU Ranking (Out of 45 UK universities included in their table)
QS World University Rankings- QS Quacquarelli Symonds rankings data– (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)