Psychological therapies are rooted in psychological understanding, so this degree provides a strong foundation in psychology with a specific focus on how counselling works and how it can help people change.
Key features of the Psychology with Counselling (Honours) course at The Open University
– Covers the key concepts, theories, methods and debates in psychology and counselling
– Gives you an appreciation of different perspectives within psychology and the ability to evaluate them critically
– Explains how psychological theories and research are applied in practical or professional contexts, particularly within counselling practice
– Can be the first step towards professional accreditation as a psychologist.
Skills for career development
As well as specific knowledge and skills in psychology and counselling, this degree course will help you to develop transferable and work-related skills that are highly valued by employers.
– effective team working
– independent and critical thinking
– IT and data handling
– analysing and evaluating diverse sources of information, including qualitative and quantitative data
– designing and carrying out research projects, and presenting findings
– problem-solving and reasoning
– application of learning to real world problems and situations.
This degree is relevant to a broad range of careers, including those within the health and social care system, and organisations in the statutory and voluntary sectors. Knowledge of human behaviour, counselling and related ‘people skills’ are recognised by employers as real assets in working with individuals and teams. You’ll gain a theoretical basis in counselling as well as a broad understanding of psychology that will prepare you to work in a variety of ways with a diverse range of people.
This course is eligible for the UK Study Online Scholarship draw
One of the only UK scholarships 100% dedicated to online study. £1,000 support for tuition fees for UK & International Students
Taking a British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited degree or conversion course is essential if you want to train to become a practising clinical psychologist in
How to Find the Best University for Your Goals On this page, we will look at the leading UK university rankings and highlight some of
A quick guide to the many types of level 4 qualifications available online from UK training providers. What is a Level 4 qualification? Level 4
A quick guide to the main types of certification available and why accreditation and awarding bodies are important. In the UK, a wide range of
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Study Compared Use this quick guide to understand and compare the main differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study. But before we start,
Write The Perfect Personal Statement For A Master’s Degree Application Getting your application accepted is the first hurdle in gaining a master’s. Some university courses