Key features of the History and Politics (Honours) programme from The Open University
– Study a range of periods and societies from 1750 using social scientific theories and approaches and historical analysis
– Offers a choice of two periods in history and two aspects of politics to specialise in at an advanced level
– Gives you the opportunity to develop an independent project on a subject of your choice
– Develop skills relevant to political and historical research and writing directed to a range of audiences
Skills for career development
Studying history and politics will provide you with an adaptable set of skills that can lead in many directions and are greatly valued by employers. Beyond subject knowledge these include critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and communication.
You’ll sharpen your IT, writing, and independent thinking and information auditing skills, as well as develop an ability to assimilate and evaluate relevant information when constructing an argument to a variety of audiences.
These are key skills in complex organisations and independent endeavours, and are highly sought after in the world beyond study – whether you’re already working,volunteering, starting, changing or looking to progress your career.
Studying history and politics requires and fosters an understanding of human activities in diverse cultural and political environments and historical contexts. The breadth of study and range of ideas and objects analysed, combined with clear thinking and communication, make the BA (Hons) History and Politics relevant to a wide range of careers, including:
– public administration, central and local government, the civil and diplomatic service, art and museum institutions, and social services
– advertising, journalism, publishing, creative industries and public relations
– legal work
– business, banking and retail
– human resources
– charities and campaigning.
This course is eligible for the UK Study Online Scholarship draw
One of the only UK scholarships 100% dedicated to online study. £1,000 support for tuition fees for UK & International Students
Time Management is one of the biggest challenges faced by online learners. Our scholarship winner, Anna C, shares practical insights on balancing life and an MSc in Psychology Conversion from Glasgow University. Gain valuable tips for effective online study schedules in this informative post.
How much weight should you place on a university’s position in the rankings? Get insights and find other ways to assess a university.
What Is an Accredited Course? In the UK, an accredited course means that a professional body or organisation has assessed and approved the learning outcomes
Understand UK Regulated Qualifications. Find out what types of courses are regulated in the UK, and why it is important for future study and professional pathways.
This page highlights the leading UK universities for Sport Management online and shows affordable, flexible, and accredited online Master’s programs and short courses in Sport
Discover Sports Management: Career Paths, Top Programs, and Future Prospects in the Sports Industry. From BA Degrees to Master’s and Professional Certificates, explore your next steps at leading institutions for a rewarding journey in Sports Management.
Use these links to view the full rankings (Opens in a new window)