You will study processes of upheaval and change within religious traditions and some of the complex – and sometimes clashing – local, regional and national perspectives on familiar and unfamiliar controversies. Using a mix of historical, sociological and ethnographic sources, approaches and methods, this module will help you to develop your understanding of the nature and role of ‘religion’ in historical and contemporary societies. You will make significant use of the rich resources available online via the OU Library.
With the Why is Religion Controversial module at The Open University you will learn:
– ways to analyse the complex, subtle and sometimes controversial ways in which religious ideas and practices are embedded in society and culture
– some of the ways in which religious ideas and practices reproduce and destabilise societal and cultural norms
– the range of levels – individual, community, national and global – at which religious ideas and practices are significant
– how to analyse the extent to which translation and communication of religious ideas can cause misunderstanding, tension, conflict and controversy
– how to think clearly and in an informed way about a subject acknowledged to be of growing importance in today’s world.
This course is eligible for the UK Study Online Scholarship draw
One of the only UK scholarships 100% dedicated to online study. £1,000 support for tuition fees for UK & International Students
Taking a British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited degree or conversion course is essential if you want to train to become a practising clinical psychologist in
How to Find the Best University for Your Goals On this page, we will look at the leading UK university rankings and highlight some of
A quick guide to the many types of level 4 qualifications available online from UK training providers. What is a Level 4 qualification? Level 4
A quick guide to the main types of certification available and why accreditation and awarding bodies are important. In the UK, a wide range of
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Study Compared Use this quick guide to understand and compare the main differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study. But before we start,
Write The Perfect Personal Statement For A Master’s Degree Application Getting your application accepted is the first hurdle in gaining a master’s. Some university courses