This Spanish Studies – Language and Culture of the Spanish-Speaking World module from The Open University further extends your language competence as well as enhancing your cultural knowledge and developing key skills necessary for studying at a higher level. The themes of the module cover different aspects of life in Spanish-speaking countries today.
You’ll work with online materials, and study a variety of texts, and audio and video materials that will develop your reading, speaking, listening and writing skills. The activities provided will also develop your academic, digital, professional and intercultural skills in Spanish-speaking contexts.
Through each theme, you’ll gradually develop your knowledge and skills by:
– consolidating and expanding your knowledge of Spanish vocabulary and grammar
– learning about and reflecting on language, culture and intercultural communication skills
– studying with audio recordings and videos that explore topical issues in Spanish-speaking cultures and societies
– engaging in a wide variety of speaking and interactive activities
– practising translation to support your language learning
– consolidating and expanding your academic skills
– using digital tools and resources to support your language learning
– finding and using information from external sources
– working independently and in collaboration with others
– reviewing your personal goals and monitoring your progress using checklists and reflective questions.
The study materials provide confidence-building strategies to improve your learning skills. We’ve carefully structured these to equip you gradually with the key skills necessary for studying at a higher level.
Support from your tutor
You’ll have a tutor to help you with the study material and mark and comment on your written and spoken tutor-marked assignments (TMAs). You can also ask your tutor for advice and guidance. This module usually includes a mix of face-to-face and online tutorials. Depending on where you live, the mix will vary. In some places, we may replace face-to-face tuition with more online sessions or telephone conferencing. How and where we hold tutorials will depend on the distribution of students taking the module in your area. Although you’re not obliged to attend any of these, we strongly encourage you to take part, as they will provide you with plenty of opportunities to speak and listen to Spanish.
This course is eligible for the UK Study Online Scholarship draw
One of the only UK scholarships 100% dedicated to online study. £1,000 support for tuition fees for UK & International Students
Taking a British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited degree or conversion course is essential if you want to train to become a practising clinical psychologist in
How to Find the Best University for Your Goals On this page, we will look at the leading UK university rankings and highlight some of
A quick guide to the many types of level 4 qualifications available online from UK training providers. What is a Level 4 qualification? Level 4
A quick guide to the main types of certification available and why accreditation and awarding bodies are important. In the UK, a wide range of
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Study Compared Use this quick guide to understand and compare the main differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study. But before we start,
Write The Perfect Personal Statement For A Master’s Degree Application Getting your application accepted is the first hurdle in gaining a master’s. Some university courses