You will be introduced to a range of issues in drug discovery, from the initial concept of selecting a disease, a disease target and the type of molecules to be utilised, to evaluating their properties, identifying lead compounds and developing these into commercial drug products.
What you will study
In this Concept to Clinic module at The Open University, you will have the opportunity to study material from prominent scientists in academia and industry working in drug design and development. For the majority of the module, you will work independently with online support. There will be an opportunity to collaborate in group-work activities based on a specific class of anti-inflammatory compounds and then apply that experience to research a new drug development project within the scope of the module.
By the end of the module you should be able to:
– describe, using relevant examples, the process of commercial drug development
– understand the terminology, nomenclature and conventions relevant to the study of drug design and development
– manipulate simple mathematical expressions that describe the measurement of drug activity
– apply database searching skills to search for and retrieve information from the internet, literature databases (e.g. Web of Knowledge, Science Direct) and scientific databases (e.g. Protein Data Bank)
– use scientific, modelling and conventional software to analyse and present data
– critically assess primary and secondary literature within a given area of medicinal chemistry
– prepare and provide relevant commentary for a presentation on a relevant subject, and assess the attributes that make for a successful presentation
– write and present information for different audiences.
This course is eligible for the UK Study Online Scholarship draw
One of the only UK scholarships 100% dedicated to online study. £1,000 support for tuition fees for UK & International Students
Taking a British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited degree or conversion course is essential if you want to train to become a practising clinical psychologist in
How to Find the Best University for Your Goals On this page, we will look at the leading UK university rankings and highlight some of
A quick guide to the many types of level 4 qualifications available online from UK training providers. What is a Level 4 qualification? Level 4
A quick guide to the main types of certification available and why accreditation and awarding bodies are important. In the UK, a wide range of
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Study Compared Use this quick guide to understand and compare the main differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study. But before we start,
Write The Perfect Personal Statement For A Master’s Degree Application Getting your application accepted is the first hurdle in gaining a master’s. Some university courses